By Joyce Smookler and Carol Stender
The Observer Corps has been busy attending commissioners meetings throughout the county and taking notes! We are pleased that the Corps has grown from four to sixteen members in just a few short months.
The larger the Observer Corps becomes, the more influence we have on elected officials. We are always looking for new Observer Corps members who want to attend local meetings. Coverage is still needed in Wellington, Lake Worth, Riviera Beach, and Palm Beach Gardens.
Next Observer Corps Members Meeting:
Thursday, February 23rd, 1:00 PM
Compass Community Center
201 N Dixie Highway, Lake Worth, FL
Hope to see you there!
Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners
- Developers continue to chip away at the AgReserves.
- Dave Aronberg, State Attorney General for Palm Beach County, is heading a task force on Sober Homes, which will report to the state legislature. Proposals to license Sober Homes have met with difficulty on the grounds of discrimination.
Delray City Commission
- A free “bicycle sharing” program is in the works.
- A water reclamation program in partnership with Boynton Beach is slated to be used for irrigation.
- Recharging stations are planned for an electric car friendly city.
- Data is being collected on Sober Homes through a yearly form.
Boynton Beach City Commission
- Zoning is being adjusted to allow for 100’ buildings along the intracoastal.
- $300 was committed to support 211 services, which handles five counties.
- Commissioner Casello is on the Sober Homes task force.